[OpenBIOS] Sparc64 OpenBIOS

Nick Couchman Nick.Couchman at seakr.com
Tue Nov 17 15:41:18 CET 2009

So, on the Nevada b127 boot attempt (and on Solaris 10 - output is identical), here's the output from "see do-boot" (note that "boot -H cdrom" doesn't seem to make this word available - I have to do a real boot before it loads it and I can see what it's attempting to do):

0 > see do-boot
: do-boot
  parse-bootargs halt? if
  " Halted with -H flag. " type cr exit get-bootdev load-pkg mount-root zflag? nested? invert and if
    fs-name$ open-zfs-fs load-file setup-props exec-file
  ;
 ok

So, then I type the following:

0 > parse-bootargs  ok
0 > get-bootdev  ok
0 > load-pkg  ok
0 > mount-root
seek failed

Can't mount root
 Aborted.
0 >

Looks like maybe it's failing on mounting the root device?  For Opensolaris, I get "Unsupported image format" and the "do-boot" word doesn't ever become available.  For Solaris 9, the error is:

FCode UFS Reader 1.12 00/07/17 15:48:16.
Boot load failed.
 ok

and do-boot looks like this:

0 > see do-boot
: do-boot
  sign-on real-devname halt? if
  " Halted with -H flag. " type cr exit loader-base plat-booter$ diagnostic-mode? if
      loader-base def-booter$ diagnostic-mode? if
          " Boot load failed." type cr exit execit
  ;
 ok

In this case, it looks like there are some variables in there, and I'm not sure what to put for them or what it's expecting, nor am I sure what steps I need to try or what to skip.

Thanks - Nick

>>> On 2009/11/15 at 15:46, Tarl Neustaedter <Tarl.Neustaedter at Sun.COM> wrote:
> Nick Couchman wrote:
>> [...]
>> I also tried the "boot -H" option and I get the following:
>> 0 > boot -H cdrom
>> [sparc64] Booting file '-H' with parameters 'cdrom'
>>  ok
>>

>> I assume this is the point where I really need the debugger and the
> breakpoints so that I can step through the rest of the boot process
> piece-by-piece.
>>

> Ah - cool. What I'd suggest doing is, right after getting to the ok
> prompt on boot -H:
>
> ok see do-boot
>
> What you should see is something like what's in the boot.fth from
> opensolaris:
> http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/psm/stand/bootb
> lks/common/boot.fth
>
>     657 : do-boot ( -- )
>     658    parse-bootargs
>     659    halt?  if
>     660       ." Halted with -H flag. " cr
>     661       exit
>     662    then
>     663    get-bootdev
>     664    load-pkg
>     665    mount-root
>     666    zflag?  nested? invert  and  if
>     667       fs-name$  open-zfs-fs
>     668    then
>     669    load-file                        ( virt )
>     670    setup-props
>     671    exec-file                        (  )
>     672 ;
>
> So, we've already parsed bootargs, let's do the rest of the method
> manually (skipping zflag stuff, because I presume on a cdrom you don't
> have zfs).
>
> ok false to halt?      \ undo the -H flag just for the heck of it
> ok get-bootdev
> ok load-pkg
> ok mount-root
> ok load-file
> ok setup-props
> ok exec-file
>
> Somewhere in there you'll see failures, which will give you a better
> feel for what's going wrong. Once you figure out which one it is, repeat
> the process, but manually executing the method which caused problems.
> This would be easier with a debugger, but it's still possible without it.

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.