[OpenBIOS] Sparc64 OpenBIOS

Tarl Neustaedter Tarl.Neustaedter at Sun.COM
Sun Nov 15 23:46:56 CET 2009

Nick Couchman wrote:
> [...]
> I also tried the "boot -H" option and I get the following:
> 0 > boot -H cdrom
> [sparc64] Booting file '-H' with parameters 'cdrom'
>  ok
>

> I assume this is the point where I really need the debugger and the breakpoints so that I can step through the rest of the boot process piece-by-piece.

Ah - cool. What I'd suggest doing is, right after getting to the ok
prompt on boot -H:

ok see do-boot

What you should see is something like what's in the boot.fth from
opensolaris:
http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/psm/stand/bootblks/common/boot.fth

    657 : do-boot ( -- )
    658    parse-bootargs
    659    halt?  if
    660       ." Halted with -H flag. " cr
    661       exit
    662    then
    663    get-bootdev
    664    load-pkg
    665    mount-root
    666    zflag?  nested? invert  and  if
    667       fs-name$  open-zfs-fs
    668    then
    669    load-file                        ( virt )
    670    setup-props
    671    exec-file                        (  )
    672 ;

So, we've already parsed bootargs, let's do the rest of the method
manually (skipping zflag stuff, because I presume on a cdrom you don't
have zfs).

ok false to halt?      \ undo the -H flag just for the heck of it
ok get-bootdev
ok load-pkg
ok mount-root
ok load-file
ok setup-props
ok exec-file

Somewhere in there you'll see failures, which will give you a better
feel for what's going wrong. Once you figure out which one it is, repeat
the process, but manually executing the method which caused problems.
This would be easier with a debugger, but it's still possible without it.