[OpenBIOS] Sparc64 OpenBIOS

Tarl Neustaedter Tarl.Neustaedter at Sun.COM
Sun Nov 15 05:04:26 CET 2009

Nick Couchman wrote:
> Here's the output from the Nevada v66 version of Solaris:

[...]

Yup. Doesn't tell me anything useful. Does /packages already contain
either ufs-file-system or hsfs-file-system before you boot? After the
boot fails, has it been created? Do you see "do-boot" and "get-file"
methods?

Try "boot cdrom -H" and see if that "open isn't unique" occurs before or
after that point. Note that Solaris boot under Nevada involves several
phases with different booters.

- primary booter from blocks 0-15
- Another version from blocks 0-15 from /kernel/<platform>/boot-archive
- reading in the entire boot archive
- Mounting the boot archive that was just read in.
- Jumping in to genunix from that boot archive.

Note that "open isn't unique" may not be an error message. It's entirely
legal for forth to re-define methods, and it's entirely possible that at
some point Solaris'  boot blocks do that. It's not always a reported
error, so I wouldn't be aware of it under normal conditions.