[OpenBIOS] PATCH: Implement Forth source debugger for OpenBIOS

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Wed Nov 4 16:08:43 CET 2009

Laurent Vivier wrote:

(lots cut)

> 4- forth/admin/iocontrol.fs:install-console

>     ['] io-emit to emit
>
> where io-emit is:
>
> : io-emit ( char -- )
>   io-out-char c!
>   io-out-char 1 " write" stdout @ $call-method drop
> ;
>
> And stdout is defined in arch/ppc/qemu/init.c:arch_of_init() (see 2- )

Thank you - now I see that the defer word "emit" is not set to execute
the C function emit, which is what was confusing me.

Here's a proof-of-concept v3 patch which bounces off the forth
trampoline in order to perform console output which seems to work for me
on SPARC64 with VNC - please can you check it works for you?

Note this patch isn't ready to be applied yet, since I haven't had
enough time to implement a patch to ensure that there is no speed
penalty when debug mode is disabled.

Many thanks,