[OpenBIOS] PATCH: Implement Forth source debugger for OpenBIOS

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Wed Nov 4 00:39:06 CET 2009

Blue Swirl wrote:

> That's possible.
>
> But I think the performance hit could be avoided almost entirely. Make
> non-debug and debug versions of "semis" and "docol". On startup
> construct the "words" table, while building select the non-debug
> versions, unless some magic diagnostic switch is on. "next" or
> "enterforth" may still need a test.
>
> Maybe the switch to debug table could even happen during execution by
> user command.

Indeed. I had a similar inspiration earlier this evening, with the only
problem being how to switch code into next() without causing a
performance hit. However, I think I've just worked out a cute little
hack that would solve this. I'm at a conference over the next few days,
so it might not be until next week that I get a chance re-work the patch
and resubmit.

In the meantime, I've looked again at the v2 patch I posted and I still
can't work out why the debugging output by printk() doesn't appear on a
VNC display for Qemu SPARC64, while it appears fine when Qemu SPARC64 is
invoked in -nographic mode. Can anyone shed any light on this?