[OpenBIOS] PATCH: Implement Forth source debugger for OpenBIOS

Blue Swirl blauwirbel at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 21:27:35 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 11:57 PM, Stefan Reinauer <stepan at coresystems.de> wrote:
> Blue Swirl wrote:
>> The debug stuff could be made a compile time option. We could even
>> enable the debugging for non-release versions, so release versions
>> would not suffer.
>>

> Maybe it would make sense to have a normal variant and a debug variant
> in the qemu tree in case people actually want to debug their boot scenario?

That's possible.

But I think the performance hit could be avoided almost entirely. Make
non-debug and debug versions of "semis" and "docol". On startup
construct the "words" table, while building select the non-debug
versions, unless some magic diagnostic switch is on. "next" or
"enterforth" may still need a test.

Maybe the switch to debug table could even happen during execution by
user command.