[OpenBIOS] PATCH: Implement Forth source debugger for OpenBIOS

Laurent Vivier Laurent at vivier.eu
Sun Nov 1 22:59:51 CET 2009

Le samedi 31 octobre 2009 à 11:02 +0000, Mark Cave-Ayland a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> Whilst spending some time working on debugging SPARC64 support with
> Qemu/OpenBIOS, it became readily apparent that progress was being
> hampered by the lack of debugging facilities in OpenBIOS (see
> http://lists.openbios.org/pipermail/openbios/2009-August/003949.html).
> Hence I've been working on adding a source debugger to OpenBIOS which
> should enable developers to step/trace through Forth words in order to
> locate bugs in the lower level Forth OpenBIOS code.
>
> The attached patch implements a Forth Source Debugger based upon the
> IEEE-1275 specification; it is not a comprehensive implementation but
> has already proved to be very useful in my tests here. A sample session
> using the debugger goes something like this:
>

> Welcome to OpenBIOS v1.0 built on Oct 31 2009 10:09
>    Type 'help' for detailed information
>
> [unix] Booting default not supported.

I test this with obj-ppc/openbios-qemu.elf
and ./ppc-softmmu/qemu-system-ppc

> 0 > : bar ." test " ;  ok
> 0 > debug bar
> Stepper keys: <space>/<enter> Up Down Trace Rstack Forth
>   ok

I don't have this.

> 0 > bar

It hangs here for me.

If I test this with -nographic", on "debug bar", I have the :

">> Stepper keys: <space>/<enter> Up Down Trace Rstack Forth
 ok

But then on "bar" I have an infinite loop displaying:

">> Stepper keys: <space>/<enter> Up Down Trace Rstack Forth
"

Regards,
Laurent
--
"Tout ce qui est impossible reste à accomplir"    Jules Verne