[OpenBIOS] [sparc64] Problematic pci at 0 and pci nodes in the device tree

Blue Swirl blauwirbel at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 19:08:50 CET 2009

On 1/18/09, Jakub Jermar <jakub at jermar.eu> wrote:
> Blue Swirl wrote:
>  > On 1/16/09, Jakub Jermar <jakub at jermar.eu> wrote:
>  >> Hi,
>  >>
>  >>  I have the following problem with the OpenBIOS device tree (the current Qemu version):
>  >>  In the root directory, there are currently two pci nodes:
>  >>
>  >>  ffd97778 pci at 0
>  >>  ffd98808 pci
>  >>
>  >>  The "screen" alias is defined as:
>  >>  /pci/pci/pci/QEMU,VGA
>  >>
>  >>  When HelenOS attempts to lookup this path, it fails, because it matches /pci instead
>  >>  of /pci at 0 and /pci does not have any children. HelenOS is normally designed to cope
>  >>  with ambiguous node names, but in this case the /pci node matches and sends it to the
>  >>  wrong direction. I think the "screen" alias should be either defined using the
>  >>  non-ambiguous pci at 0 path components or the /pci node should not exist at all.
>  >>
>  >>  Can you confirm this is a problem in the tree?
>  >
>  > Yes, there is a duplicate for some reason for most PCI devices. Also
>  > the address is 0, except for IDE and serial.
>

> After some recent changes in Qemu, this is no longer a problem and HelenOS finds
>  the QEMU,VGA node.
>
>  The properties needed to find the physical address of the framebuffer seem to
>  be still wrong. Is this fixed in the upstream version of OpenBIOS (I still haven't
>  figured out how to build openbios :-()? Basically what is needed is the reg property

First, you need binutils and gcc. For cross compiling I'd recommend
sparc64-elf target, then you avoid a lot of unneeded Linux
headers/libgcc stuff. At least binutils 2.18 and gcc 4.2.4 build
working binaries. I still don't have a working cross gdb for Sparc64,
the obvious configuration (--target=sparc64-elf) doesn't work.

Then OpenBIOS:
./config/scripts/switch-config cross-sparc64 (or just sparc64 for native)
make

>  in the screen node and ranges properties in all the nodes above screen up to the
>  root. I believe the address property is normally used to hold a virtual address
>  valid for ofw-managed mappings (not the physical address), but I may be wrong.

Ok, I'll check.