[OpenBIOS] How does one use the partition access functions

Blue Swirl blauwirbel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 18:03:35 CET 2009

On 2/9/09, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> I see there are functions for accessing partition info in
>  modules/mac-parts.[ch] among others.  I do not see any of the code using
>  any of these functions however.

macparts_init is called from modules_init, called from arch/ppc/qemu/init.c.

macparts_init registers a node, the NULL name specifies the
initializer (macparts_initialize). I suppose
register-partition-package does what the name says.

>  I am trying to fix booting on powermac's under qemu so that it actually
>  looks at each partition entry and determines if it is flagged as
>  bootable, and if so looks at the load size and load address specified
>  there and boots that.

Great!

>  The idea is to replace the broken quik boot code, with something that
>  actually does what the boot loader says to do, not what the openbios
>  assumes it wants to do.
>
>  Does anyone have any hint as to how to actually use these nice partition
>  access functions so I can look at each partition table entry until I
>  find the bootable one (if any)?

_probe method should detect the presence of partition, _open registers
the offsets.