[OpenBIOS] Haiku/ppc regression?

Andreas Färber andreas.faerber at web.de
Tue Dec 22 22:48:58 CET 2009

Am 22.12.2009 um 14:36 schrieb Mark Cave-Ayland:

> Is this really a regression? Without the complete output from both
> cases above it's difficult to tell, however it looks like the old
> version gets to an OpenBIOS prompt whereas the new version gets
> further since it is actually executing a bootloader payload.

Neither gets to an OpenBIOS prompt afaik. Nor to the Welcome banner of
the Haiku bootloader, so iiuc not to its payload either.

Complete previous output from the mail I replied to:

checking for memory...
0: base = 0x00000000, size = 134217728
1: empty region
total physical memory = 128 MB
suggested page table size = 1048576
need new page table, size = 1048576!
new table at: 0x07d00000
MSR: 0x00003030
found 4 translations
found page table!
no mapping for the exception handlers!

http://old.nabble.com/QEMU-OpenBIOS-booting--td23007116i40.html

Similar report on qemu-devel:
http://www.archivum.info/qemu-devel@nongnu.org/2009-02/01081/Re:_%5BQemu-devel%5D_PPC_Haiku

The output I sent was supposed to be complete (minus the OpenBIOS
banner we all know):

checking for memory...
0: base = 0x00000000, size = 134217728
1: empty region
total physical memory = 128 MB
suggested page table size = 1048576
need new page table, size = 1048576!
new table at: 0x07f00000

Partial output from real hardware for comparison available here:
http://afaerber.planche.de/#ppc_2009_12_20

I considered it a regression because it's four lines less of output.
There's also a change of address for the new table - 0x07f00000 vs.
0x07d00000.

> an SVN bisect to identify the offending commit would be really handy.

Looking into that.

Andreas