[OpenBIOS] Faulty Qemu SPARC64 IDE emulation?

Igor Kovalenko igor.v.kovalenko at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 21:26:48 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 7:02 PM, Nick Couchman <Nick.Couchman at seakr.com> wrote:
>> Please try this patch as well, helps clearing a few subtle memory issues.
>>
>> openbios-forth-package-prevent-null-dereferences
>>
>> - Prevent dereferencing page zero and complain about invalid handles
>>

> If I understood correctly, this patch was not intended to fix the SPARC64 IDE emulation error, but, just to make sure, I don't see any improved behavior with this patch.  I see a couple of call-method outputs to the screen as qemu is starting up (before the 0> prompt), but that's about it.

That's correct, still there was a remote chance you hit this issue.
Fortunately package implementation does only read the value from zero
page so loaded data should be not modified if you see some output from
call-method.

> Also, has anyone thrown this issue up on the qemu-devel list, yet?  I didn't see anything out there, yet, but may have missed it and was wondering if someone else was already working on getting it posted over there?  If not, I'll be happy to kick off the thread on that list and provide some details to the Qemu developers.

Ide emulation issue is not on qemu list yet. From what I see here it
is not really a driver implementation fault because driver callback
gets bogus pointer. Probably this is caused by some clash with low
memory location where device i/o space is mapped.

--
Kind regards,
Igor V. Kovalenko