[OpenBIOS] starting

Blue Swirl blauwirbel at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 14:16:20 CEST 2009

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 1:35 AM, Laurent Vivier<Laurent at vivier.eu> wrote:
> Le vendredi 21 août 2009 à 17:57 -0400, G 3 a écrit :
>> I have begun doing work with OpenBIOS. I was wondering if it is
>> possible to compile OpenBIOS for PowerPC on Mac OS X? If not, what
>> Linux distro should I use? Any advice would really help.
>>

> I don't know if it is possible to compile it on Mac OS X. Personally I
> use debian lenny on x86_64 with cross-compiler, but I used to build it
> on an iBook G4 with debian etch.

I'm also using x86_64 with cross-compiler:

powerpc-elf-as --version
GNU assembler (GNU Binutils) 2.18
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License version 3 or later.
This program has absolutely no warranty.
This assembler was configured for a target of `powerpc-elf'.

powerpc-elf-gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: powerpc-elf
Configured with: ../configure --target=powerpc-elf --disable-nls
--disable-threads --enable-languages=c --disable-shared
--enable-multilib --disable-libssp
Thread model: single
gcc version 4.2.4

powerpc-elf-gdb -v
GNU gdb 6.8
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "--host=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
--target=powerpc-elf".

Configuring for *-elf is easier than *-linux, because then the include
files, libgcc, crt0.o etc. will not be needed. These can be difficult
to compile sometimes. The drawback is that you can't use the compiler
for normal Unix programs, only for OpenBIOS and maybe Linux kernel.

BTW, there is a bug in one of the tools (binutils, gcc, gdb, can't
remember which): if you want the tool for powerpc64, the only
supported target is powerpc64-linux, powerpc64-elf won't work. This is
not a problem for OpenBIOS because the same binary can be used for
both 32 and 64 bit CPUs.