[OpenBIOS] QEMU OpenBIOS booting?

Andreas Färber andreas.faerber at web.de
Sun Apr 19 10:03:31 CEST 2009

Am 19.04.2009 um 09:50 schrieb Steven Noonan:

> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 10:46 PM, Steven Noonan
> <steven at uplinklabs.net> wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 1:39 AM, Laurent Vivier
>> <Laurent at lvivier.info> wrote:
>>> OpenBIOS is not able to boot MacOS X.
>>
>> Well, that's a silly limitation. Is there a reason this isn't
>> implemented? I see that the Mac-on-Linux OpenBIOS version has such
>> support, so it seems strange that the QEMU version does not.
>
> I don't know if anyone here is actually interested (this list seems
> -very- quiet), but...
>
> I've been hacking at OpenBIOS for a bit, and I got it to properly read
> Mac OS X discs (it kept failing because it would hit an Apple
> Partition Map header instead of an HFS+ filesystem header). I'm
> working on adding an XCOFF loader, too, so it should be able to boot
> Mac OS X soon.
>
> Any chances I could get these changes merged to the main OpenBIOS tree
> once they're done?
>
> My current working repository is at http://github.com/tycho/openbios.
> I'm working on the macosx-boot branch. The relevant commit is here
> (patch also attached):
> http://github.com/tycho/openbios/commit/4722c8a01d186a08183de49759dc8b7b74cf41c9
>
> Thoughts?

Your work surely sounds interesting. However, making OpenBIOS boot
from the disks is not everything there is to it. Alexander Graf had
once posted a series of patches for making Mac OS X boot in QEMU,
including changes/additions to device emulation. They were not merged,
not sure about the status today.

One issue iirc was that you need to obtain some Apple ID from a real
Mac of yours and pass that to QEMU for it to work.

Andreas