[OpenBIOS] QEMU OpenBIOS booting?

Steven Noonan steven at uplinklabs.net
Sun Apr 19 09:50:41 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 10:46 PM, Steven Noonan <steven at uplinklabs.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 1:39 AM, Laurent Vivier <Laurent at lvivier.info> wrote:
>> OpenBIOS is not able to boot MacOS X.
>
> Well, that's a silly limitation. Is there a reason this isn't
> implemented? I see that the Mac-on-Linux OpenBIOS version has such
> support, so it seems strange that the QEMU version does not.

I don't know if anyone here is actually interested (this list seems
-very- quiet), but...

I've been hacking at OpenBIOS for a bit, and I got it to properly read
Mac OS X discs (it kept failing because it would hit an Apple
Partition Map header instead of an HFS+ filesystem header). I'm
working on adding an XCOFF loader, too, so it should be able to boot
Mac OS X soon.

Any chances I could get these changes merged to the main OpenBIOS tree
once they're done?

My current working repository is at http://github.com/tycho/openbios.
I'm working on the macosx-boot branch. The relevant commit is here
(patch also attached):
http://github.com/tycho/openbios/commit/4722c8a01d186a08183de49759dc8b7b74cf41c9

Thoughts?

- Steven