[OpenBIOS] First OOPS

Laurent Vivier laurent at lvivier.info
Mon Dec 22 11:37:15 CET 2008

Le 22 déc. 08 à 07:22, Blue Swirl a écrit :

> On 12/22/08, Laurent Vivier <laurent at lvivier.info> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've got my first oops under linux booted with OpenBIOS.
>>
>> The kernel (2.6.28-rc9) was hanging into probe_machine() because it
>> didn't
>> recognize the machine.
>>
>> The following patch correct this:
>
> Thanks, applied as r305.
>
> What kernel and command line have you been using? None of the install
> CD images I have tried are able to boot at all.

In fact, I've installed a debian sarge on an external disk drive with
my iBook G4 and I use this image with qemu.

Then I cross-compile a linux kernel from GIT and I use yaboot (I've
compiled it on x86_64) to update the disk image:

kpartx -a sarge-ppc.img
mount /dev/mapper/loop0p3 mnt
cp linux-2.6/vmlinux mnt/boot/vmlinux-2.6-test
sudo umount mnt
yaboot-1.3.14/ybin/ybin -o hd:2 -b /dev/mapper/loop0p2 --config
yaboot.conf --nonvram
kpartx -d /dev/loop0

My yaboot.conf is:

boot=/dev/hda2
device=hd:
partition=3
root=/dev/hda3
timeout=5000
install=yaboot-1.3.14/second/yaboot
magicboot=yaboot-1.3.14/first/ofboot
enablecdboot

image=/boot/vmlinux-2.6-test
	label=Linux-test
	read-only
	append="console=ttyS0"

image=/boot/vmlinux
	label=Linux
	read-only
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
	append="console=ttyS0"

image=/boot/vmlinux.old
	label=old
	read-only
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img.old

On an install CD there is a forth script which start yaboot with good
parameters but currently OpenBIOS is not able to decode this script
(inside XML tags).

Regards,
Laurent