[OpenBIOS] RAM codes.

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Thu Mar 8 22:17:28 CET 2007

* Feng, Libo <Libo.Feng at amd.com> [070117 06:38]:
> I am studying the LinuxBios project. I have a question about the RAM code: from
> Makefile, it seems that LinuxBios could load codes from FLASH to RAM twice,
> first for linuxbios_ram, second for so-called payload. My understanding is
> correct or not. However, also from Makefile, it seems that linuxbios is
> dependent on LINUXBIOS_RAM_ROM, but doesn't include it. The below is abstracted
> from a Makefile:
>
> linuxbios: crt0.o $(INIT-OBJECTS) $(LINUXBIOS_APC) $(LINUXBIOS_RAM_ROM)
> ldscript.ld
>         $(CC) -nostdlib -nostartfiles -static -o $@ -T ldscript.ld crt0.o $
> (INIT-OBJECTS)
>         $(CROSS_COMPILE)nm -n linuxbios | sort > linuxbios.map.
> So, there is no action on LINUXBIOS_RAM_ROM. Does it mean linuxbios_ram is not
> very important. Even without it, the system is also ok?

It is there. Defined in src/arch/i386/Config.lb and to be found in the
Makefile.

LINUXBIOS_RAM_ROM is set to linuxbios_ram.rom. It's the second half of
LinuxBIOS and _very_ important.

The build process in version 2 is very hard to understand. We're
currently trying to fix this in upcoming LinuxBIOS v3.

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613