[OpenBIOS] Filo problems booting El Torito (LiveCD) CD-ROMS?

roger roger at eskimo.com
Wed Jan 31 11:59:35 CET 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 11:50 +0100, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> roger wrote:
>
> > I'm looking over fs/eltorito.c
> >
> >     case MEDIA_NOEMU:
> >         printf("Disc doesn't use boot disk emulation\n");
> >         debug ("MEDIA_MASK= %d \n",MEDIA_MASK);
> >         return 0;
> >

> > "de->media_type" is reporting "0" (defined as "no emulation")
> >
> > MEDIA_MASK seems to be reporting "15" as it's value.
> >

> > Is it safe to say, according to the following El Torito "No Emulating
> > Booting", Filo doesn't support booting El Torrito cdroms using
> > media_type="No Emulation"?  (I'm using LiveCDs such as Gentoo, Ubunto,
> > and yes, windowsxp -- all seem to be reporting "0" for emulation.)
> >
> > Is this correct or is Qemu just turning my world upside down here?
>
> I would assume you can just load your kernel from hdc instead of hdc1 then.
>
> Booting Windows does not work anyways ;-)
>
> Stefan

I found it stefan.  I'm not not well knowledgeable with Isolinux, but
didn't want to just assume syslinux.cfg was the culprit like you said
previously.

Snip from a post I just found on google:

---Snip---
"cd booting is one of the necessary features for FILO, especially
parsing
isolinux.cfg files but it needs a little bit restructuring and I never
got around to do it yet. If someone wants to have a look, please do!
Maybe parsing CMOS variables would go well with that."
---Snip---

I believe this was posted by Richard Smith around July 2006 on Linuxbios
list.

Ug! ;-)  No wonder people are just statically defining or typing in
"hdc:/isolinux/vmlinuz"!

--
Roger
http://www.eskimo.com/~roger/index.html