[OpenBIOS] Dictionary size limit per device instance

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Wed Aug 22 09:54:39 CEST 2007

Dear Äsif

* Asif Haswarey <asif.haswarey at qlogic.com> [070822 01:06]:
> Does anyone happen to know what the dictionary size upper limit
> (for openbios) is hardcoded to per device instance?

If I remember correctly there is no limit per device instance, but
during bootstrap the dictionary size is limited to 256k:
kernel/bootstrap.c:#define DICTIONARY_SIZE (256*1024) /* 256k for the dictionary */
and I think that value applies for the ports, too.

It's just an arbitrary numbers, we chose it a couple of years ago
when 256k was the usual size of system flash roms, so the resulting
openbios would always fit in a such a small chip with LinuxBIOS and
a compressed OpenBIOS payload.

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613