[OpenBIOS] Fixing interpose

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Mon Apr 23 20:23:02 CEST 2007

> Fixing the handling of interposed devices would allow booting a lot
> more OSes.
>
> If I understand correctly the interpose solution discussed earlier,
> the ihandle>phandle in line 28 in:
> http://www.openbios.org/viewvc/openbios-devel/forth/device/package.fs?
> view=annotate&root=OpenBIOS
> should become more like something in OBP line 72:
> http://openbios.org/viewvc/obp/os/bootprom/instance.fth?
> view=annotate&root=OpenBOOT
>
> Is this right? Or could someone more knowledgeable in Forth propose a
> fix?

You cannot simply reuse that code, since the internal
structure of OpenBIOS is different from OBP here; but
yes, the algorithm should skip the interposed nodes.
Not sure if ihandle>phandle is the right place though,
that one is probably used in places where you _do_ want
to look at the interposed nodes as well; I don't
remember what the interposition doc says, but I guess
it should be done in instance-to-package in the client
interface only?

Segher