[OpenBIOS] FCode on an embedded Leon-Sparc system

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Tue Sep 19 23:48:54 CEST 2006

* Rolf Schroedter <Rolf at Rolf-Schroedter.de> [060919 21:16]:
> I'm able to compile & run bare C applications (gcc cross-compiler), so
> it seems to me that I don't need a real BIOS.

OpenBIOS does not do any bring-up, so it is basically exactly what you
are looking for.

As for the size issues, the 72k include all openfirmware compliance
code, including the device interface, lots of glue code etc pp.
The 6k mentioned here is the forth kernel, without any dictionary, ie.
it is only the "command scheduler" and the primitives.

You might want to look at this old stand-alone version of the openbios
forth kernel: http://www.openbios.org/bin/kernel-1.1.tar.bz2

And plug the fcode evaluator directly on top of that. You can probably
end up with a 32k-48k system (uncompressed).

Hope this helps.

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613