[OpenBIOS] Unix host without libc

Blue Swirl blueswir1 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 22 17:05:26 CEST 2006

Hi,

Portions of Linux libc and ld.so for Sparc64 use very advanced, handcrafted
assembly, and some of those instructions (VIS I, II) are not implemented yet
by Qemu. This patch adds an optional statically linked Unix target, which
bypasses the libc. The resulting binary is compiled 100% from OpenBIOS
sources, so I have complete control for optimisation etc. I already found
one small bug in Qemu with this version.

Interestingly, in Qemu openbios-unix-static crashes in docol, when the
rstack overflows. This doesn't happen in native Sparc64. But I don't know
how to debug Forth execution problems, any clue?

I think the code is somewhat portable within Linux, probably not to other
Unixy systems. Though I don't think the patch has much general use.

http://search.msn.com/