[OpenBIOS] Sparc32/64 support

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Sat Apr 22 17:48:21 CEST 2006

* Blue Swirl <blueswir1 at hotmail.com> [060422 15:57]:
> I've been working on Sparc32/64 support for Qemu. Currently Qemu for Sparc32
> uses Proll as a system boot rom, but it's not a very good starting point for
> Sparc64. Basically, Linux expects a bit too much from the OpenFirmware
> interface, like Forth support etc.
>
> I guess OpenBIOS would be a better choice. How complete do you think
> OpenBIOS is, can it boot Linux for example on some architecture? Is there
> any support for 64-bit architectures?

OpenBIOS boots Linux fine on x86, amd64 and ppc based systems.

It is 64bit clean, so using it for sparc64 is surely an option.

 it will not automatically generate all of your device tree though, so
 you either need to generate a static one (easy and enough for qemu
 probably), or fix up the dynamic device tree generation (which is the
 preferred solution)

Stefan

--
coresystems GmbH · Brahmsstr. 16 · D-79104 Freiburg i. Br.
      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 · Fax: +49 761 7664613