[OpenBIOS] Interpreter and Forth Compilation

Stefan Reinauer stepan at openbios.org
Tue Sep 21 16:39:24 CEST 2004

* Swamy at soc-soft.com <Swamy at soc-soft.com> [040921 13:20]:
> 1) When I enter a command (e.g. dup) on openbios prompt,how does it get
> linked to corresponding c function fdup()?
> I understand that the entered command goes through the outer-interpreter
> and is finally executed using forth word "execute". I am not able to
> understand how this "execute" gets linked to fdup().

See enterforth(). The primitives are kept in an array words[] in
primitives.c that is referenced in the dictionary. This creates an
abstraction between native code and forth code.

> 2) Please let me know how the forth files are compiled and executed? I
> understand that all the forth source files (*.fs) are converted to
> (.dict) files using "./bootstrap" executable and is linked to the
> kernel. Kindly provide some input with regard to this.

forthc -D destination.dict -d source.dict file1.fs file2.fs ... fileN.fs

> Can you please provide some link/document with respect to above

Read the source, Luke! If anyone has time and resources to create an
appropriate in-depth documentation, I will gladly include it on the web
page.

Some in-depth documentation is already available in the source tree.

    Stefan