[OpenBIOS] How to enable print statement in the openbios-kernel?

Stefan Reinauer stepan at openbios.org
Mon Sep 13 16:44:13 CEST 2004

* Swamy at soc-soft.com <Swamy at soc-soft.com> [040913 14:55]:
> ==>So you cannot even build all of openbios on your machine?
>
> When I compile the kernel with option "#define DEBUG_CONSOLE"
> (/kernel/include/config.h), it compiles fine.
>
> But, If I add single "printk" statements in the each of the functions
> processxt(), next(), enterforth() in the file /kernel/kernel/internal.c
> it hangs....

These are the inner heart of the forth kernel and they are running very
often! If you put debugging in there, the resulting forth kernel will
become really slow. (by a factor of 100-1000 i might guess wildly)
Thus bootstrapping the device interface, which is the biggest part of
OpenBIOS, takes almost forever.

> Building forth sources:
>
> Adding lib specific forth code to dictionary...       ok
> Adding device specific forth code to dictionary...
>
> COMPILATION HANGS AT THIS POSITION..........

Stefan