[OpenBIOS] Bootloader

Stefan Reinauer stepan at openbios.org
Tue Jan 6 15:16:22 CET 2004

* Torsten Duwe <duwe at lst.de> [040106 02:20]:
> Yes, I boot my workstation in the office with yaboot, and indeed the path is
> openfirmware->yaboot->ELF-kernel(in an ext2fs).
> As you can see yaboot mediates between the openfirmware, ignorant of ext2fs,
> and the linux kernel. I haven't checked whether the firmware can launch ELF.

> By now ELF seems to be the format of choice already for anything surrounding
> OpenBIOS, so no problem with that. All that's left is (readonly!) ext2fs
> code, as in FILO or GrUB (or yaboot :-); and as one can see in these
> projects, it's not such a big deal. We'll probably see a forth version of an
> ext2fs well before someone seriously starts using yaboot.

For code reusability the forth-c bindings have been advanced during the
big mol-openbios merger and there is support written in C for HFS and
HFS+ in the tree. Once the tree works fine again for all builds it
should be easy to add for example grub-fs bindings to openbios to reuse
grub's filesystem drivers.

Stefan