[OpenBIOS] Bootloader

Samuel Rydh samuel at ibrium.se
Tue Jan 6 03:11:33 CET 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 08:02:21PM +0000, Alex Owen wrote:
> I have been watching this project from the early days and I'm impressed
> with the recient progress.
>
> This is probably old news but a quick search of the archives here did not
> show anything up.
>
> Yaboot.
> Yaboot is the bootloader used by owners of macintosh and other ppc
> machines with open firmware to boot linux from openfirmware. The home page
> seems to be http://penguinppc.org/projects/yaboot/
>
> Perhaps when the time comes to boot an operating system with openbios
> yaboot and linux will be good candidates.

Hehe... this is already working.

I've been merging the Mac-on-Linux mini-OpenFirmware (which did not
parse forth code but provided all the client interface callbacks
as well as filesystem support) with OpenBIOS. There are still some things
to do but overall the merge is pretty much finished.

The latest OpenBIOS version is capable of booting both yaboot (and Linux)
and MacOS 9. MOL is actually close to a perfect platform for developing
OpenBIOS (well, at least for non-POST stuff).

For those who want to take a look at the merged code, everything
is in a BitKeeper repository (bk://openbios.bkbits.net/unstable).

/Samuel