[OpenBIOS] User-extentions (was Re: More comments and a proposal...)

Ben Pfaff pfaffben at pilot.msu.edu
Tue Aug 26 17:19:50 CEST 2003

   > Why not? Award BIOS does this, Windows 95 does this. As we participate at
   > "The right thing to do[tm]" we should be allowed to do so, too.

   Microsoft does a lot of things the wrong way :)

Microsoft flashes the BIOS?  Then won't our BIOS, or part of it, get
blown away, if we're not careful?

   I belive someone mentioned that there limits to how many times you can
   flash most chips. If so, then we definitly don't want to do it every
   bootup, especially if we are supporting DOS/Windows :)

I don't believe that we were going to flash it every bootup, just
every time that the user decides to changes his boot settings or
whatnot.  That should be fewer than 100,000 times, I think, normally.

---
OpenBIOS -- http://www.linkscape.net/openbios/
openbios-request at linkscape.net   Body: un/subscribe
Problems?  dcinege at psychosis.com