[OpenBIOS] L2 cache

(Dave Jones) dave at denial.force9.co.uk
Tue Aug 26 17:19:50 CEST 2003

Ronald G Minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> wrote:
 > In case I did not mention it: we aren't turning on L2 cache.
 > We need to figure this one out. All hints gratefully accepted ...

Bear in mind that L2 cache can be off-CPU. In the case of my
devel system, I have a VIA VP3 with 1mb of L2 cache on the
motherboard. Enabling this requires flipping a bit in PCI space.
This will be documented in the register-level docs for the chipset.

Other systems (Celeron, P2/P3[xeon]/p4?, K6-2/3, Athlon] have
their caches onboard and require MSR poking. This should be in
the BIOS writers guides for the respective CPUs.

regards,
--
Dave.
-