[OpenBIOS] Some thoughts on paflof.

Segher Boessenkool segher at chello.nl
Fri Jun 14 01:44:06 CEST 2002

> Thanks for your kind answers. I suppose i do not understand some
> fundamental design decisions.

So please ask :)  I (think I) have good reasons for all these
design decisions... :)

> From my knowledge about OpenFirmware i remember, that OF is a
> token threaded ANS-Forth with some extensions for the device-tree
> and a number of tokens (roundabout 300?) have a predefined value.

There's no such requirement in the OF spec.

Some (almost all?) OF implementations are token threaded; they use
FCode tokens as Forth tokens.  This is a severe restriction, as this
allows us to build only a few thousand user words; also, it only
complicates things, it doesn't simplify them.

Segher

-
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de
http://www.freiburg.linux.de/OpenBIOS/ - free your system..