[OpenBIOS] patch: machine dependent config

Stefan Reinauer stepan at suse.de
Fri Jun 7 12:25:21 CEST 2002

* Segher Boessenkool <segher at chello.nl> [020607 02:25]:
> > I had something in mind which does not need any external functionality
> > but put everything to a seperate file so we don't need to mix forth
> > implementation and platform adoptions.
>
> Unfotunately, we can't;  we need to find out if the libgcc contains
> functions to divide TImode numbers, for example.  So it'll have to
> be done outside of the normal compile.

Except we rely on compiler defines and prerequisites to get towards a
defined build set (which probably sucks). If we have to use this
functionality anyways, it might be interesting to look at autoconf.
But then again we won't get rid of all perl stuff, so using autoconf
just adds another player to the game.
Just a dumb idea, could we rewrite the preprocessing and testing
completely in C? I know that there are a lot of issues with perl on
newer platforms, which could make it hard to get paflof running on new
machines, even if we already have a gcc. Ugly though. If this is
considerable, we don't want it before we have some systems actually
booting.

> > I know. But if we want to support IEEE 1275-1994 completely we will need
> > this anyways and it might be worth it having this stuff working as soon
> > as we have the compiler and fcode engine up and running. (which is
> > probably not that far from now)
>
> Not far at all, not far at all... :)

Great work!

  Stefan

--
The x86 isn't all that complex - it just doesn't make a lot of
sense.          -- Mike Johnson, Leader of 80x86 Design at AMD
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de
http://www.freiburg.linux.de/OpenBIOS/ - free your system..