[OpenBIOS] 64bit paflof with lots of gnuisms

Parag Patel parag at codegen.com
Tue Jun 4 09:49:28 CEST 2002

Re: macros vs sizes of various int/ptr types

One reason I used explicit type definitions for INT_64 and PTR_64 is
that SmartFirmware can be built with either 32-bit or 64-bit cells on
hosts that support both.  Thus I can't use the sizeof operators.  Also
sizeofs within #if macro expressions aren't supported by most compilers.

SF doesn't use gcc's label/tables feature either.  We just use a
separate C function per Forth word.  It's more than fast enough for
boot-up purposes, but then almost all of the real work is done in C
rather than Forth in any case.

Just FYI, SF has been compiled with various C compilers including TI's
34020 graphics processor compiler, Metrowerks for several targets,
Visual C, Apple's MPW C, and Sun's C/C++ compiler.  Barring a few key
machine-dependent assembly stubs, of course.

	-- Parag Patel
-
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de
http://www.freiburg.linux.de/OpenBIOS/ - free your system..