[OpenBIOS] New power-up graphics BIOS.

zechmer cu0815 at compuserve.de
Wed Aug 29 09:28:18 CEST 2001

Hello Thomas,

> Before I had that one I used hot-swapping :-)
> (Turn on System, wait until booted into DOS, replace Flashrom on Mainboard
with
> another one (without turning off power), use AWARD flash utility to write
> experimental BIOS, reboot, test, replace with working BIOS, repeat :-) )

I used an even harder way in the 80's: with the EPROMS 27128C and a
programming device.
I had to insert the ROMS directly into the sockets. This really isn't fun
:-(.
And the sockets got loose. Someday I inserted an EPROM the wrong way.
It smoked a little, but was still programmable after the disaster!
How to you program the BOOT-ROM?
I heard that it is fixed and not flashable. Is this right?
Do you know a good method to test the ROM directly?
[for example: just delivering the ROM data over the serial or parallel port
of your
dev. PC to the "test" Motherboard which in this case could run without ROMs
[data comes over serial port directly
into the sockets]]. Is there such circuit? What about timing problems?
Bye

Bernhard

-
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de