[OpenBIOS] [IMPORTANT] Legal Issues.

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Tue Aug 28 11:22:05 CEST 2001

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, E.B. Dreger wrote:

> > BSD can give vendors heartburn. It's a long story. Our vendors requested
> > that we stick with GPL.

basically we floated a question to the list a year or so ago. Did the
various contributors prefer GPL, LGPL, or BSD?

Our vendors that are contributing code preferred GPL overwhelmingly.
First, they see GPL as a competitive advantage for vendors who contribute.

It also levels the playing field.

Second, BSD would allow competitors to take vendor-provided source and
then reship binary. This is bad news for vendors.

So we stuck with GPL.

ron

-
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de