[OpenBIOS] ia64: how do we do BIOS? EFI?

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Mon Aug 27 22:26:42 CEST 2001

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Stefan Reinauer wrote:

> Let's just wait for the next generation of Alpha^H^H^H^H IA64 hardware

I don't buy this one. I think this is being pushed by the same company
that took such good care of the alpha. From everything I have seen the
alpha is dead, never to reappear, esp. as IA64 take 2.

It is true IA64/Merced has big problems, but I doubt they'll solve them by
dumping the IA64 architecture. Intel is no stranger to taking a bad
architecture and making it fly somehow -- that's why we all use IA32!

I think we are stuck with figuring out how to make this crazy IA64 work --
unfortunately. I think we need to figure out how to make SAL call our
bios, build a combined SAL/our bios, get it loaded into FLASH, and just
dump all that EFI nonsense on the floor. That's what I'm going to work on
anyway. After that we can write our own SAL.

Oh yeah the real good news: this EFI junk only builds on NT.

ron

-
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de