[OpenBIOS] Award BIOS Source code

Gavin Robert Brewer gavinbr at gavinbr.worldonline.co.uk
Tue Aug 28 01:50:24 CEST 2001

> Better get yourself an IEEE-1275-1994 specification - you'll be amazed
> how nice the concept is compared to what you know about the official
> ia32 firmware apis.

I'll look into it, but even $30 is too much for me to spend. Can I get
this spec. on the web? When I bought the POSIX guide it cost me darn
near $100 to get it out of the US...

Thanx anyway man. I'd like to apologise for the numerous flames and
'robin-hood' ideas, but frankly, I am just a poor downtrodden student
with his back against the wall.

On the other hand, I dont see why the 'redistribution of wealth' concept
should be considered childish at all. So long as you dont break the law.
Linux does a great thing in this respect, but is too monolithic in it's
overall structure to continue to grow indefinitely.

I personally think that the rich should be made poor and the people as a
whole richer. It is my opinion and I am entitled to it. Linux aint quite
user-friendly enough to totally cause chaos in the PC sector, which
ideally would be what I want.

I almost have no respect for the current Silicon Valley monopolies, or
the men-in-suits who control them. As a student with no money, I see
them as nothing other than a bunch of dismissive, fifty-something
oppressors.

Any whiff of legal bollocks gets my back up faster than you can say
'Bill'. (Something from a past life, I must think). I really get a bit
frustrated with people who overreact when someone just releases a bit of
(probably public) source code with a view to *educational* usage.

> Look at how easy Linux can communicate with OpenFirmware
> on Suns or Apples. It has a clear API, is completely enhancable and due to
> the fcode backend, "binary" drivers are completely CPU independant without
> recompile. The big chance for complete interoperability and transparency.

Linux is certainly strong on the assembler side...interoperability and
transparency are critically important in any modern OS.
-
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de