[OpenBIOS] Re: Licensing issues

Chris Maresca ckm at crust.net
Mon Aug 27 12:29:31 CEST 2001

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Gavin Robert Brewer wrote:

> Just dont get caught. Sun and Apple knew that, when they ripped off
> Xerox's work.

Actually, Xerox and Apple had a license agreement.  There was no ripoff.
Sun also had a license agreement, although not directly.  Don't get caught
up in mythology. I live in Silicon Valley (tm) and I've worked for both
Apple and Sun, among others.  There's not much 'stealing' going on here,
that's a big myth.

And, BTW, Bill Gates _bought_ DOS from an outfit called Seattle Computer.
There was no IBM DOS, IBM was running CP/M, among other things.  You might
be thinking of DR DOS, but that did not come out until much later.

If you want to get caught up in these myths, that's fine.  But it won't
help you when the hammer comes down.

Look, we all want open source bios, why spoil it by stealing someone
else's code?

Anyway, I've had enough of this thread.  Please move on to something more
constructive.

Chris.

--
chris maresca
      internet systems architect -- www.chrismaresca.com

"linux, only up 138 days, because california has flaky power... "

-
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de