[OpenBIOS] award bios source code - please send requests

Gavin Robert Brewer gavinbr at gavinbr.worldonline.co.uk
Mon Aug 27 18:54:03 CEST 2001

Ronald G Minnich wrote:

> I'm just really glad it's on the openbios list. If this discussion had
> appeared on any list I own I would have had to moderate the list or filter
> out the offers for BIOS source or just plain reject mail from people who
> offered it.
>
> Yes, I think it's a terrible thing.

Do you work for American Megatrends?

Your words reflect a certain letter sent from Billy G. to the Homebrew
Computer Club in the 70's. Personally I see no harm in this.

The source code is proprietary, and has copyright notices all over it.
So what? If we open up the hood of a rolls-royce and look at the way
it's built, and try our best to produce a superior engine based on that
knowledge...it classes as an educational exercise, man.

Personally I think it was disgusting of the makers of Award BIOS to keep
their source code stored away, so that the world have to see a load of
SPAM for 10 seconds every time they boot up their machine.

If it involves stealing a little code to ensure that we put an end to
this nonsense, then so be it. It's better to be ruthless if you have
public ends to serve, not the private ends of closed-shop, greedy little
companies.

End of Line.

		Gavin.

--