[OpenBIOS] New power-up graphics BIOS.

zechmer cu0815 at compuserve.de
Mon Aug 20 15:48:00 CEST 2001

Hello Lloyd,

> If you want a starting point for a DOS-like package, you might want to
take
> a look at FreeDOS (www.freedos.com). Written in assembly, as is most
driver
> and really really efficient code.
>
> I have not really looked at FreeDOS in depth, but know it is there, and
have
> downloaded it. Was actually thinking of using it for a 386ex project, but
> got pulled on to another assignment before I got far enough to make an
> intelligent decision.

Well I downloaded the source 2 or 3 years ago. It's a mix of mainly C and a
few ASM
segments. I couldn't say if it's efficient or not. Also some time ago the
LinuxBIOS. At this time it supported 2 chipsets.

> Just a comment - if you a want faster application, go with assembly. YES,
> know that C and C++ are more portable, and the newer compilers do wonders
> with efficiency. I also realize that I am opening this up to a whole
battery
> of emails regarding the C/C++ vs. assembly battle (Please don't - take the
> argument to the appropriate newsgroup, since I really don't think that
this
> mail list is intended for that. I am expressing an opinion here, folks
:) ).

You're right. If you want to compile the BIOS into a 1MBit ROM C insn't a
very
good choice. I would use a low-level ASM-API on which the whole thing is
build up.

> However, if the code is written in assembly, every knowledgeable person
can
> see exactly what the software is doing, and if that would be a problem or
> not. Compilers have a tendency to hide things, as many of you well know,
> such as overhead.

A questition to all: is the gcc capable of producing romable code?
At least he produces souce output (which dosn't integrate the source for the
libs, just CALL lib... etc.[?]).

Bye

Bernhard

-