[OpenBIOS] New power-up graphics BIOS.

zechmer cu0815 at compuserve.de
Mon Aug 20 16:04:47 CEST 2001

Hello Gavin,

> > My suggestion for a simple and effective(?) start (of the project) would
be:
> >     first, to write a simple monitor.
> >   The monitor should have the following features:
> >    - to init the system (dma, irq, serial ports etc.)
> >     -a simple "command line" with the commands:
>
> What?!! Are we going back to the 70's? No WAY is there going to be any
> command line in Eric, save what you can emulate in a window.

I think we misunderstud here. I don't want to see any command line
in a GUI (for a OS like Eric will be) either
[my only interests are in a graphics BIOS].

This monitor should be only a little tool in the (early) development phase.
And bochs doesn't emuluate enough PC hardware :-(  (PCI, SDRAM, etc.).
I know that it's out, but how do you want to test the BIOS in REAL hardware?
At the time I was working on my little BIOS, my work-cycle was:
[I hadn't an ICE]
programming->burning into EPROM->pressing ROMs into the sockets->
On an error a had to fiddle the EPROMs out and start the whole thing again.
I know there are some ways out of this dilemma, but I thought the
monitor would be an elegant way to overcome early dev problems.
And: monitors are implemented on most embedded systems.

Bye

Bernhard

-
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de