[OpenBIOS] New power-up graphics BIOS.

Gavin Robert Brewer gavinbr at gavinbr.worldonline.co.uk
Sun Aug 19 09:46:32 CEST 2001

zechmer wrote:

> Hello Garvin,
>

> I would only emphasize some very little detail of the Mac System icons:
>     they are all designed to work correctly in B/W and Color mode
> (you get a correct B/W display of the icons,
> if you filter with 50% threshold aver the color value of 128).
> So why not simply take theese [copyright?]?

Okay, done. d:-)

> An "improved" form of BIOS existed on IBM machines.
> It was called ABIOS (for multitasking purpuses).
> I don't know on which machines it was implemented.

Sounds interesting.

> My suggestion for a simple and effective(?) start (of the project) would be:
>     first, to write a simple monitor.
>   The monitor should have the following features:
>    - to init the system (dma, irq, serial ports etc.)
>     -a simple "command line" with the commands:

What?!! Are we going back to the 70's? No WAY is there going to be any
command line in Eric, save what you can emulate in a window.

No offence dude, but that is right out.

>    "load memory", "save memory", "dump memory", "go"

Yes, but as options in a window.

> the load memory option should load the graphics bios from a server
> in the RAM of the client (the BIOS testing machine).

Nice one, agreed. <|;-)

> save memory is the reverse option. All other options should be clear.
> Note that this "command line" option exists on some (super)computers.

Guess that's why it sux so bad d:-|

> Or is it better to directly use a PC Emulator (like bochs?).
> Bye for now,

Emulation is the way to go, buddy! d:-)

Thanx for your stimulating words, they are much appreciated.

All the best,
		Gavin.
-
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de