[OpenBIOS] New power-up graphics BIOS.

zechmer cu0815 at compuserve.de
Sun Aug 19 09:21:55 CEST 2001

Hello Garvin,

> Hmm.. I propose someone port something like MacOS or Linux onto ROM first,
> mainly as an improved form of BIOS.

I would only emphasize some very little detail of the Mac System icons:
    they are all designed to work correctly in B/W and Color mode
(you get a correct B/W display of the icons,
if you filter with 50% threshold aver the color value of 128).
So why not simply take theese [copyright?]?

An "improved" form of BIOS existed on IBM machines.
It was called ABIOS (for multitasking purpuses).
I don't know on which machines it was implemented.

My suggestion for a simple and effective(?) start (of the project) would be:
    first, to write a simple monitor.
  The monitor should have the following features:
   - to init the system (dma, irq, serial ports etc.)
    -a simple "command line" with the commands:
   "load memory", "save memory", "dump memory", "go"
the load memory option should load the graphics bios from a server
in the RAM of the client (the BIOS testing machine).
save memory is the reverse option. All other options should be clear.
Note that this "command line" option exists on some (super)computers.
Or is it better to directly use a PC Emulator (like bochs?).
Bye for now,

Bernhard

-
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de