[OpenBIOS] New power-up graphics BIOS.

Lloyd Thomson thomson at aros.net
Fri Aug 17 13:09:31 CEST 2001

If you want a starting point for a DOS-like package, you might want to take
a look at FreeDOS (www.freedos.com). Written in assembly, as is most driver
and really really efficient code.

I have not really looked at FreeDOS in depth, but know it is there, and have
downloaded it. Was actually thinking of using it for a 386ex project, but
got pulled on to another assignment before I got far enough to make an
intelligent decision.

I would also love to help, but have extremely limited time. And it is
looking like it will only get worse!!! I may be able to help with
suggestions, and problem solving, but if you want code from me, you would
have to get in line!!!

Just a comment - if you a want faster application, go with assembly. YES, I
know that C and C++ are more portable, and the newer compilers do wonders
with efficiency. I also realize that I am opening this up to a whole battery
of emails regarding the C/C++ vs. assembly battle (Please don't - take the
argument to the appropriate newsgroup, since I really don't think that this
mail list is intended for that. I am expressing an opinion here, folks :) ).
However, if the code is written in assembly, every knowledgeable person can
see exactly what the software is doing, and if that would be a problem or
not. Compilers have a tendency to hide things, as many of you well know,
such as overhead.

good luck

Lloyd Thomson
Sr. Design Engineer