[OpenBIOS] New power-up graphics BIOS.

Gavin R. Brewer gavinbr at gavinbr.worldonline.co.uk
Thu Aug 16 23:09:24 CEST 2001

Ralph,

I am using a reference book on the VESA SVGA standard version 1.1 as a
source of code snippets etc:

EGA/VGA: A programmer's reference guide
By Bradley Dyck Kliewer
McGraw Hill Publishers.

I know this is really retro, but if we can stick to code which is a little
way back down the evolutionary tree of hardware, we might be able to create
'instant' graphics from the BIOS.

What would be crucial is some sort of power-up self-testing function, that
determines what kind of SVGA chipset is present, (only the largest families
considered),  and applies different code for each chipset.

Clearly this would be much better hand-coded in C++ rather than assembler;
lest things get icky.

All the best,
			Gavin.