[OpenBIOS] current ugly pci config code.

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at mandrakesoft.com
Mon May 1 22:52:29 CEST 2000

Ronald G Minnich wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Colin Jensen wrote:
>
> > Did you enable Memory, IO, and Bus Master on the IDE?  You need Mem
> > and IO enabled even if there are no memory regions associated with the
> > device -- I'm assuming that if I possessed the PCI IDE spec, it would
> > tell me that a PCI IDE device receives ISA bus cycles or some crazy
> > thing like that.
>
> are you sure about that? this is from ide-pci.c in 2.3.99pre5:
>
>         if (!(pcicmd & PCI_COMMAND_IO)) {       /* is device disabled? */
>                 /*
>                  * PnP BIOS was *supposed* to have set this device up for
>
> note that it is only checking COMMAND_IO. Does it need more?

If the device doesn't export legacy memory region OR base address memory
regions OR expansion rom regions, then PCI_COMMAND_MEM can be
disabled...  My ASUS P2B BIOS initializes the SB Live card, with no MMIO
regions, like this:

00:0c.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! (rev 06)
        Subsystem: Creative Labs Gameport Joystick
        Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 32 set
        Region 0: I/O ports at a800
        Capabilities: <available only to root>

--
Jeff Garzik              | Nothing cures insomnia like the
Building 1024            | realization that it's time to get up.
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de