[OpenBIOS] Re: [fb-d] Now mounting root

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at mandrakesoft.com
Tue May 2 20:17:56 CEST 2000

Ronald G Minnich wrote:

> On Tue, 2 May 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > * you need to initialize the mobo serial ports.  For example on a Via
> > mobo, you need to set up the serial plug-n-play PCI config registers,
> > otherwise the serial ports power up in a disabled state.
>
> will turning on the plug and play support in linux  be sufficient?

Nope...  plug-n-play support depends on BIOS setup of a data area and
PnP interface, AFAICS.

It depends on the hardware how much init you need for the legacy ISA
devices like the serial ports.  I mentioned "plug-n-play" in the message
above only because that is the name for the Via-specific PCI config
registers which determine the IRQ and I/O address of each serial port.
It has only the slightest thing to do with BIOS<->OS Plug-n-Play
interface.

Given your other message I would have thought this was a moot point?
You seemed to imply that sercons was working... :)

--
Jeff Garzik              | Nothing cures insomnia like the
Building 1024            | realization that it's time to get up.
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de