[OpenBIOS] Re: [fb-d] Now mounting root

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at mandrakesoft.com
Tue May 2 18:41:14 CEST 2000

Ronald G Minnich wrote:
> Thanks to your help, I am now mounting root:

woo hoo!

> Part of the problem was in my PCI config, another problem was I had to
> enable the IDE in Linux, as follows:
>
> #define LINUXBIOS
> #ifndef LINUXBIOS
>                 if (e->reg && (pci_read_config_byte(dev, e->reg, &tmp) ||
> (tmp &
> e->mask) != e->val))
>                         continue;       /* port not enabled */
> #else
>         /* force 'em on! */
>                 if (e->reg) {
>                         pci_read_config_byte(dev, e->reg, &tmp);
>                         tmp |= e->val;
>                         pci_write_config_byte(dev, e->reg, tmp);
>                         printk("%s: LINUXBIOS, so Jammed the enable
> on!\n",
>                                         d->name);
>                 }
> #endif
>
> So in the LINUXBIOS case you know that no BIOS was there to do things, so
> you just turn the IDE on.

what is e->reg and e->val?  is that PCI_COMMAND ?

> I die on opening the initial console. That's the next barrier to multiuser
> boot. Any hints welcome ....  I've attached my .config and the command
> line I'm using is:

> command_line="root=/dev/hda1 serial=1,9600n8 console=ttyS1,9600";

The default is 9600/N/8/1.  Just leave out everything except
console=ttyS1

Comments:

* why do you define CONFIG_HOTPLUG in your kernel build?  Unless you
know you need it, it just wastes kernel space by not disposing of memory
needed for hotplug drivers later in kernel life.

* you need to initialize the mobo serial ports.  For example on a Via
mobo, you need to set up the serial plug-n-play PCI config registers,
otherwise the serial ports power up in a disabled state.

* consider getting a Matrox card, and using fbdev for your console
(CONFIG_FB).  AFAIK Matrox, and maybe ATI, not need BIOS init in order
to produce video.

--
Jeff Garzik              | Nothing cures insomnia like the
Building 1024            | realization that it's time to get up.
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de