[OpenBIOS] Re: [fb-d] next problem: keyboard.

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Fri May 5 09:35:34 CEST 2000

On Thu, 4 May 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> * The PM registers relating to keyboard are probably red herrings -- it
> appears you are only signalling that keyboard events should generate PM
> event interrupts, which isn't what you are looking for

yes, right, I said 'PM' but should have said 'function 3'

> * The Fast A20 bit (bit 1 of port 92 register) is logically combined
> with the input from the keyboard controller. (x-bus interface, a20gate
> signal)  maybe that is significant, maybe not.

I never thought A20 mattered except for real mode addressing, am I missing
something here.

> * have you enabled X-BUS accesses (function 0, register XBCS 0x4E-4F)
yes
> * have you enabled the keyboard interrupt?
hmmm ... I'm still now sure how the heck I do this! Maybe the 'steenking
bios' code that programs the 8259s?

> * have you cleared the kbd interrupts (RIRQ, 0x60)

I put this in just now.

> * is the USB keyboard interface "stealing" the keyboard port for
> itself?  (register C0-C1)

I don't think so. It defaults to 0 (Intel does manage to get "defaults to
0" right much of the time) ...

> * port 92 (P92) register mentions keyboard

This is the gross a20m# garbage, I don't think it affects us, but ...

> * possibly important bits:  keyboard bit on DEVRESA register (function
> 3, bit 28, register offset 0x5C-5F) and DEVRESB register (function 3,
> bit 30, register offset 0x60-63)

yes, I have these on. These are what I called "PM" registers.

I'm going to try out the little loop that OpenBIOS uses for keyboard init
and see if I get anywhere.

thanks

ron

-