[OpenBIOS] OpenBIOS/LinuxBIOS on a NIC ROM? Or am I mad?

David Christensen dchrist at home.com
Wed May 17 19:55:07 CEST 2000

Peter,

An interesting idea but I don't think it's possible.  On RESET the CPU will
begin executing instructions from a fixed address of F000:FFF0h (being x86
compatible).  At this point the PCI bus structure has not been initialized
and the OPROM on the PCI NIC has not been enabled.  Thus, you can't replace
the BIOS this way.  If you could somehow modify the card such that it comes
up enabled and decoding it's ROM in the F000h segment, and assuming it's on
PCI bus 0, you might be able to do such a thing since the PCI card should
claim the memory accesses rather than letting them filter down to the ISA
bus where the ROM exists.

Dave