[OpenBIOS] Re: [GENERAL] Re: spontaneous reboots FreeBSD 3.x and 4.0-stable (fwd)

Ronald G. Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Tue Mar 21 11:29:47 CET 2000

Here's why we need to KILL the BIOS

ron

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 09:52:57 -0800
From: Arthur M. Kang <arthur at levelogic.com>
To: Jim Mercer <jim at reptiles.org>
Cc: "[iso-8859-1] Pawe³ Dubin" <paweld at suimed.tpnet.pl>, hackers at FreeBSD.ORG,
     pgsql-general at postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: spontaneous reboots FreeBSD 3.x and 4.0-stable

Had this rebooting problem before for a while and it drove me NUTZ!  Installed RedHat
and FreeBSD and both rebooted periodically.  Don't know if my solution will help or not,
but what was causing my reboots was the system BIOS.  The options for Power Management
in the system BIOS should have some settings for the monitor as well as the hard drive.
I was finding that the spinning down of the hard drive caused the machine to reboot.  No
traces in any error logs or anything...

Hope that helps somebody...somewhere...  :)

-
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de