[OpenBIOS] PCI setup code

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at mandrakesoft.com
Tue Mar 28 19:51:09 CEST 2000

"Ronald G. Minnich" wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>
> > What problems exactly are you having in PCI setup?  I've been messing
> > around in that area lately and can help...
>
> first, in 2.2.10, it doesn't do ANY configuration of memory-addressable
> BARs. Second, it doesn't do any IRQ assignment. If 2.3 fixes this then
> I'll just cut over.

It sounds like 2.2.x is relying on BIOS setup of PCI space even for the
PCI_DIRECT case.

It is likely that 2.3.x needs this as well to some extent, but I can
almost promise you that 2.3.x will behave more sanely when faced with
the lack of BIOS setup...  The 2.3.x kernel PCI code has a ton of
fixup-handling code already, which would be very similar to handling the
completely-lack-of-BIOS case.   It shouldn't be very hard at all to get
the PCI code completely independent of BIOS PCI setup -- if that hasn't
happened already, that is.

--
Jeff Garzik              | Tact is the ability to tell a man
Building 1024            | he has an open mind when he has a
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de